MAX materials and MXene materials are new two-dimensional materials which have attracted much attention recently, with excellent physical, chemical, and mechanical properties, and possess shown broad application prospects in numerous fields. The following is an in depth guide to the properties, applications, and development trends of MAX and MXene materials.
What exactly is MAX material?
MAX phase material is actually a layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material consisting of M, A, X elements around the periodic table, collectively known as “MAX phase”. M represents transition metal elements, including titanium, zirconium, hafnium, etc., A represents the primary group elements, like aluminum, silicon, germanium, etc., X represents carbon or nitrogen. MAX-phase materials, each atomic layer consists of M, A, X, three of the aspects of the alternating composition arrangement, with hexagonal lattice structure. Due to their electrical conductivity of metal and high strength, high-temperature resistance and corrosion resistance of structural ceramics, they may be popular in high-temperature structural materials, high-temperature antioxidant coatings, high-temperature lubricants, electromagnetic shielding along with other fields.
Properties of MAX material
MAX material is actually a new kind of layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material with the conductive and thermal conductive qualities of metal, composed of three elements with all the molecular formula of Mn 1AXn (n=1, 2 or 3), where M means the transition metal, A refers to the main-group elements, and X refers back to the elements of C and N. The MXene material is really a graphene-like structure obtained through the MAX phase treatment with two-dimensional transition metal carbides, nitrides, or carbon-nitrides. MAXenes and MXenes are novel two-dimensional nanomaterials made from carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and halogens.
Applications of MAX materials
(1) Structural materials: the excellent physical properties of MAX materials make them have a wide range of applications in structural materials. As an example, Ti3SiC2 is a kind of MAX material with good high-temperature performance and oxidation resistance, which can be used to manufacture high-temperature furnaces and aero-engine components.
(2) Functional materials: Besides structural materials, MAX materials will also be found in functional materials. For example, some MAX materials have good electromagnetic shielding properties and conductivity and can be used to manufacture electromagnetic shielding covers, coatings, etc. In addition, some MAX materials likewise have better photocatalytic properties, and electrochemical properties can be used in photocatalytic and electrochemical reactions.
(3) Energy materials: some MAX materials have better ionic conductivity and electrochemical properties, which can be used in energy materials. As an example, K4(MP4)(P4) is one from the MAX materials rich in ionic conductivity and electrochemical activity, which can be used a raw material to manufacture solid-state electrolyte materials and electrochemical energy storage devices.
What Exactly are MXene materials?
MXene materials are a new form of two-dimensional nanomaterials obtained by MAX phase treatment, just like the structure of graphene. The outer lining of MXene materials can connect with more functional atoms and molecules, and a high specific surface area, good chemical stability, biocompatibility, and tunable physical properties, etc, characterize them. The preparation strategies for MXene materials usually are the etching management of the MAX phase and also the self-templating method, etc. By adjusting the chemical composition and structure of MXene materials, the tuning of physical properties including electrical conductivity, magnetism and optics could be realized.
Properties of MXene materials
MXene materials certainly are a new type of two-dimensional transition metal carbide or nitride materials comprising metal and carbon or nitrogen elements. These materials have excellent physical properties, like high electrical conductivity, high elasticity, good oxidation, and corrosion resistance, etc., as well as good chemical stability and the ability to maintain high strength and stability at high temperatures.
Applications of MXene materials
(1) Energy storage and conversion: MXene materials have excellent electrochemical properties and ionic conductivity and are widely used in energy storage and conversion. For example, MXene materials bring electrode materials in supercapacitors and lithium-ion batteries, improving electrode energy density and charge/discharge speed. In addition, MXene materials may also be used as catalysts in fuel cells to improve the activity and stability of the catalyst.
(2) Electromagnetic protection: MXene materials have good electromagnetic shielding performance, and conductivity can be utilized in electromagnetic protection. As an example, MXene materials can be used electromagnetic shielding coatings, electromagnetic shielding cloth, as well as other applications in electronic products and personal protection, boosting the effectiveness and stability of electromagnetic protection.
(3) Sensing and detection: MXene materials have good sensitivity and responsiveness and may be used in sensing and detection. For instance, MXene materials can be used gas sensors in environmental monitoring, which could realize high sensitivity and high selectivity detection of gases. Furthermore, MXene materials can also be used as biosensors in medical diagnostics as well as other fields.
Development trend of MAX and MXene Materials
As new 2D materials, MAX and MXene materials have excellent performance and application prospects. Later on, using the continuous progress of science and technology as well as the improving demand for services for applications, the preparation technology, performance optimization, and application parts of MAX and MXene materials will be further expanded and improved. The following aspects may become the main focus of future research and development direction:
Preparation technology: MAX and MXene materials are mainly prepared by chemical vapor deposition, physical vapor deposition and liquid phase synthesis. In the future, new preparation technologies and methods could be further explored to understand a more efficient, energy-saving and eco friendly preparation process.
Optimization of performance: The performance of MAX and MXene materials is already high, but there is still room for additional optimization. Later on, the composition, structure, surface treatment as well as other aspects of the content could be studied and improved in depth to enhance the material’s performance and stability.
Application areas: MAX materials and MXene materials have already been popular in lots of fields, but you can still find many potential application areas to get explored. Down the road, they could be further expanded, such as in artificial intelligence, biomedicine, environmental protection along with other fields.
To conclude, MAX materials and MXene materials, as new two-dimensional materials with excellent physical, chemical and mechanical properties, show an extensive application prospect in many fields. With all the continuous progress of technology and science and the continuous improvement of application demand, the preparation technology, performance optimization and application areas of MAX and MXene materials is going to be further expanded and improved.
MAX and MXene Materials Supplier
TRUNNANO Luoyang Trunnano Tech Co., Ltd supply high purity and super fine MAX phase powders, such as Ti3AlC2, Ti2AlC, Ti3SiC2, V2AlC, Ti2SnC, Mo3AlC2, Nb2AlC, V4AlC3, Mo2Ga2C, Cr2AlC, Ta2AlC, Ta4AlC3, Ti3AlCN, Ti2AlN, Ti4AlN3, Nb4AlC3, etc. Send us an email or click on the needed products to send an inquiry.